Saturday 18 August 2007

happy holidays...

A couple of must sees at the Edinburgh Fest are choreographer William Forsythe's Impressing the Czar and theatre group Mabou Mines. I first saw Czar when Forsythe ran Ballet Frankfurt. It's rare (if ever?) for the UK to get a full-length production of his (this being from the Royal Ballet of Flanders). Dance theatre at its most fascinating and very best. As a precocious youngster in Australia back in the '80's, Mabou Mines was on the theatre hit list for my first New York visit back then. Less well known outside New York than other experimental theatre band The Wooster Group, they've maintained an equally fascinating presence over the years, in particular a brilliant reverse gender cast for King Lear.

After complaining about my treatment at the hands of my yoga institute I realise I’m not alone after reading a review of this theatre piece Yoga Bitch. And while we’re in complaining mode, the Finnish complaints choir is one of my fave internet experiences. So looking forward to this Swedish version. Website's in Swedish...
Tellervo Kalleinen & Oliver Kochta-Kalleinen

And some moans and groans about Heathrow as the Climate Change Action encampment continues acting. Nice to see some local elected councillors pitching in. Probably the closest we’ll get to a French Revolution for a while :)
Britain's Awful Airports (The Economist)
'Let's get straight to the point. BA doesn't stand for British Airways any more. It stands for Bollocks At...' (Claudia Winkleman,The Independent)
The Big Question: Does Heathrow Airport really need another runway and terminal?

And, after reading this article about food in The Independent, I think I’ll join The Flintstones for dinner.

And what can I possibly say about this....
Australia drops charges against doctor arrested over terror plot

Happy Holidays......

No comments: