Saturday 18 November 2006

heavenly skies, hellish travel

This will be the first of many frustrated rants at transport in London because today was the last straw for me. For years I've kept quiet but no more. And with the recent resignation of Jack Lemley, US honcho of the London Olympic bid, the time is ripe. At about 1pm, I was stuck for about 15 minutes on the Picadilly line underground train. "Trouble on the train up ahead, we'll be moving shortly." Of course, we didn't. A repeat of this reassuring phrase, resulted in a repeated lack of motion.

With two major tube lines closed this weekend for refurbishment, you'd think the powers that be would bend over backwards to ease problems. When I finally escaped to some fresher air upstairs, a noticeboard warned of delays. Well, at no point on my 25 minute journey had there been any announcements to this effect.

This lack of communication has been a regular feature of London travel over the years. What horrors lie before us tomorrow I wonder. Google 'Bob Kiley Dispatches' for the documentary that former London Underground boss (and ex New York subway head) made in sheer frustration at the system. And he should know!

No comments: